In this day of global warming, people must do what they can to make the environment suitable for future generations. When building a new home or remodeling an older one, there are steps to take to create an environmentally- friendly area that fits into your lifestyle. Here are ten ideas to consider when planning your kitchen.
1. The Nest Thermostat-Heating or cooling the kitchen and home is costly, especially when the temperature fluctuates along with changes in humidity. With an automatic sensor thermostat, the heat or air conditioning adjusts to the indoor activity, temperature and humidity, saving money to give the comfort of a steady indoor climate.
2. Lighting-This is the perfect time to get rid of those old energy guzzling light bulbs of the past and replace with LED bulbs. One great bulb to try is the Switch75 that gives the light comparable to a 75-watt incandescent bulb but uses 75% less energy. Couple the bulb with a dimmer switch and you will save even more. LED bulbs also last much longer than regular bulbs.
3. Kitchen faucet-There are many faucets that offer water saving advantages, such as the motionsense hands-free faucet from Moen. Designed to “sense” what your water needs may be, it comes on automatically when you need it and shuts off when you don’t, reducing water usage.
4. Combitherm Oven-An innovation in kitchen appliances that reduces cooking time by 20%, this oven has touch screen controls, temperature booster when starting up and requires no added clearance space as do many other appliances.
5. Dry Assist Dishwasher-This appliance saves drying time by drawing up cool, dry air from a duct in the floor of the dishwasher and thus reducing energy costs.
6. Wireless Freshness Monitoring System-Imagine never having to worry about contaminated food. With this remote monitoring system, you can keep dibs on all food and beverages through a communication technology thus reducing waste, cost and keeping your family healthy.
7. GreaseShield ECO 1850-This is a system designed to protect pipes while using renewable energy resources through harnessing waste thermal energy from grease before it turns to solids and clogs pipes and eliminates odors in the process.
8. TurboChef Fire-Cooking a fresh pizza in 90 seconds is possible with this countertop convection oven.
9. Velocity Series Pressure Fryer by Henny Penny-With a filtration system that lets you reuse oil many times, this is a great way to recycle oil safely.
10. Garland Induction FlexiHob-This stovetop adjusts to the size of the pan being used automatically, using only the heat you need to get the job done.
Designing or remodeling the kitchen is a great way to work on saving the environment. Through reduction in energy and water consumption, the kitchen becomes an efficient part of the home, giving you peace of mind that you are working to do your share for the next generation.